Are you feeling the effects of winter yet? In some areas of the country fall to winter may not exhibit dramatic changes but, in other areas, temperatures have dropped, and winter storms are moving in with rain and snow. Is your garage ready for the challenges that winter brings?
- When the sun goes down, the garage becomes a cold, dark, and uninviting space.
- Can’t find the antifreeze, deicers, and firewood you know are in there.
- Another year of the car out in bad weather because the garage is still messy.
Tailored Living® can help alleviate those garage problems with custom garage organization that can have your garage “in season” for any time of the year with storage solutions and custom garage flooring to completely transform the space.
The ultimate garage for all seasons
The ultimate garage will provide functional living space, storage, and room to park your expensive vehicles. With Tailored Living, you can design a garage to meet all your needs, all year long, for storage, workspaces, living space, and more. Custom garage cabinets are the key to getting your garage organized by getting everything up off the floor. Capitalizing on vertical storage will free up floor space and make garage clutter a thing of the past. Combining cabinets with Slatwall wall hanging systems, overhead storage racks, and integrated shelves will let you manage everything in your garage.
- Enclosed cabinets with adjustable shelves let you configure your storage for exactly what you need to store.
- Drawers and cabinets allow for safely storing large and small items, eliminating the tripping hazard of boxes and tools stacked in corners and along the walls.
- Slatwall panels create wall-hanging storage that can be customized with specialty hooks, baskets and shelves to organize items like gardening tools and sports equipment.
- Overhead storage racks are the perfect solution for seldom used and large items, like camping gear and seasonal decorations. Automated racks make overhead storage effortless with one-button control … and no ladders needed!
The last garage floor you’ll ever need
As the finishing touch to the ultimate garage, a new custom garage floor completes the transformation and is one of the best ways to get your garage ready for the winter months. It provides a durable, firm foundation for garage cabinets and other storage options. Tailored Living offers two types of flooring that give exceptional beauty and durability to any garage:
PremierOne® floor coatings protect and beautify with a permanent, seamless finish that is twice as hard as most other epoxy finishes. Five styles to choose from can suit any taste with Solids, Decorative Texture, Stone, Elements and Stratus, each with unique characteristics. Surface preparation and installation of an epoxy garage floor coating usually takes two to three days, and within 24 to 36 hours of curing time, your garage is back in service.
PremierTrax® garage floor tiles create an amazingly durable floor with open-weave tiles that interlock to eliminate shifting or lifting of tiles. The open-profile surface and unique flow-through design let rain, snow and mud “disappear,” leaving the surface clean. With 18 popular colors, you can get creative to match a favorite car, your alma mater’s colors, your custom garage cabinets, or create a pattern all your own. With no curing time or adhesives, a PremierTrax floor generally has one-day installation and you’re back in the garage.
Many benefits come with every garage floor that Tailored Living installs, including:
- Our epoxy coatings chemically bond with the concrete floor, creating a permanent, non-porous surface.
- PremierOne and PremierTrax floors resist chemicals commonly found in garages, like gasoline, auto fluids, and paint thinner.
- Extremely durable, floors resist chipping, peeling, fading or stains.
- Can withstand heat and cold and wet or dry weather conditions, truly a floor for all seasons.
- Clean up is easy; nothing sticks to the surface, so spills are never a problem.
10 tips to winterize your garage
There are some things you can do to make your garage more user-friendly and to prevent cold weather challenges. These 10 tips can help get your garage ready before winter officially arrives, so you and your family can safely enjoy the season, whatever it brings.
- Tip One: Keep the garage warmer with an insulated garage door and insulation added to your garage walls. Check weather stripping on any windows and doors and replace it if it’s damaged.
- Tip Two: Safety check garage door openers: oil moving parts, check hinges and supply fresh batteries in all remotes or keypads so nobody gets stuck out in the cold. (It’s also a good time to battery-check indoor smoke detectors and fire alarms.)
- Tip Three: Screen over any entry points and vents to stop nesting critters and birds from getting into your garage, chimney, attic or house. (5 Ways Rats Get Into Your Home)
- Tip Four: Place rugs or mats in front of the connecting door to the house to eliminate tracking in dirt, snow, and mud. Use garage floor mats where you park the car/cars to absorb de-icing products that stick to your car’s tires and to protect the floors from snow tire chains.
- Tip Five: Wrap exposed water pipes to prevent freezing—washing machine or utility sink—with polyethylene insulation tubes, PVC pipe wrap, automatic heat tape or a DIY wrap of one-quarter-inch thick newspaper secured with duct tape.
- Tip Six: For “green” deicing and adding traction to slippery walks, spread fireplace ashes, sand, wood chips, sawdust, alfalfa meal or coffee grounds. All are harmless to people, pets and the environment, but no claims are made against the mess they may make. Store in an air-tight container with a big scoop close to the garage door so it’s easy to access when needed.
- Tip Seven: Keep a few days’ supply of fireplace logs in the garage so you don’t always have to traipse out to the big woodpile when the weather is bad.
- Tip Eight: Charcoal briquettes and sidewalk chalk absorb moisture. Put several pieces in a breathable bag and store with tools to prevent rust, in cabinets and drawers, or anyplace dampness collects.
- Tip Nine: Add additional lighting so there are no dark corners, especially around workbenches and laundry facilities. Install a space heater if time will be spent doing laundry or working in the garage.
- Tip Ten: Bring the family’s winter sports equipment (skis, snowboards, sleds, ice skates) front and center and store the out-of-season equipment out of the way until spring returns.
Don’t wait for winter to arrive before you get serious about winterizing your garage to protect your home. Act now to ensure against weather issues that can cause problems in the coming months. For the ultimate garage update, your local Tailored Living designer can help you maximize your space in ways you may never have considered. Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today to schedule a FREE, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.