If green is your favorite color, you’re in for a treat! After the tumultuous times of the past two years, it’s no surprise that the major paint manufacturers have chosen 2022 colors of the year that reflect a desire for calm and comfort with nature inspired hues. Leaning heavily into cool and warm shades of green, there’s a look for everyone. Amy Donato, PPG Paint's senior color marketing manager, shares, “The easiest way to shift your mindset is to change your environment.” And the easiest way to change your home’s environment is with color! Take the Tailored Living color enrichment tour into 2022, including one very surprising color.
New paint colors are the quickest way to freshen up a room, and then add colorful accessories to contrast or coordinate
Why the focus on green?
Green is one of the most populous colors on earth, in endless shades and nuances of color. Green represents rebirth and growth. It can be warm or cool, serving as a neutral that pairs well with many décor styles, and is companionable with any wood tones and natural fibers that are so popular today. Green is a nurturing color that signifies hope for the future, pointing to organic, calm, and comfort.
- Behr: Breezeway is a silvery green shade with cool undertones, inspired by the beauty of the earth. Erika Woelfel, the vice president of color and creative services explains, “We wanted something that excited us and brought on a sense of renewal and restoration for the adventures ahead.”
- Benjamin Moore: October Mist is a light-to-mid-value green that can serve beautifully as a background hue to support other nature-inspired colors. It’s just right for a bedroom or living room space where a soothing and relaxed vibe is desired.
- Sherwin-Williams: Evergreen Fog is a gorgeous, comforting green that has richness and depth. It’s a chameleon of color, green-meets-gray with a hint of blue. Simple but sophisticated, Evergreen Fog is a stunning statement shade—fresh, comfortable, and versatile.
- PPG: Olive Sprig is a highly adaptable gray-green color with yellow undertones to entice you to brighten your environment with organic liveliness. It's a soothing color that represents healing, regrowth, and resiliency.
Traditional, modern, or farmhouse style, green invites gracious living
Green can hang out with anyone
In addition to one chosen color of the year, most companies supplement that color with expanded color palettes to assist homeowners in selecting complementary color schemes. Encompassing wall and ceiling colors, trim, accessories, and furniture, it’s easier to envision a room remodel when you can see the range of colors that work harmoniously together. Benjamin Moore’s color palette for October Mist includes 13 colors that can help to “find your fabulous” for balanced design in any room.
Color palettes hand-pick compatible colors that range from light to dark, with pops of color to enliven any space
Most of the paint color trends in 2022 are nature inspired hues, organic based greens with gray or yellow undertones. Used as a neutral for walls or cabinetry, they create a relaxing setting just waiting for colorful accessories to personalize the space. Dunn Edwards is an exception with its rich, earthy brown, Valspar with its warm Grey Suit, and HGTV’s gray blue, but all three are perfect complements to the range of greens for the new year.
To see more on each of the Colors of the Year, including color palettes, click on the links below:
Green is always right at home
Despite Kermit the Frog’s song a few years back, “It’s Not Easy Being Green,” using green in your home to decorate and refresh your spaces is easy. As wall color, in cabinetry, furniture pieces, and accessories, living rooms, dining rooms, kitchens, pantries, and bedrooms can be beautifully styled with any of the 2022 colors of the year.
- Add green accessories to neutral-colored rooms for pops of natural color
- Make green your decorating neutral by painting walls and/or ceilings green
- Easily increase your green quotient with live or silk plants in myriad shades of green
Vibrant green accessories transform this white living room into a welcoming, calming space
Rich greens create personal havens for work or sleep in bedrooms and home offices where hours are spent each day
Bring new life to kitchens and entryways with your favorite 2022 green
The 2022 wildcard: Pantone’s Very Peri
This year, fashion and home design color guru Pantone Color InstituteTM created an entirely new color to welcome the new year. Pantone’s executive director Leatrice Eiseman explains, “It was really important for us to come up with a new color, because we have a very new vision of the world now.” The new Very Peri is a happy periwinkle blue, spritely, joyous, and dynamic to encourage creativity and imagination. Pantone declares Veri Peri to be the happiest and warmest of all the blue hues. What do you think?
A luscious, strong color, accessorizing with Very Peri or using it as a dramatic accent wall can completely transform any room
Color does play a big part in our enjoyment of life and if you’re ready to break out and shake things up a bit, consider updating your home with the fresh, nurturing 2022 colors of the year!
- Break the monotony of too much time in the kitchen by updating cabinetry and walls with fresh, stimulating new colors.
- Completely change the feel in any room without the expense of buying new furniture with new wall color, and rugs and accent pieces in textures, bright patterns, and mixed metals.
- Rotate furniture pieces to different rooms for reimagined use and paint tables, chairs, and shelves in glorious greens.
2022 is a year of promise, so keep that promise to yourself to make home the most comfortable and fun place for your family to be. Refresh your living spaces with your favorite 2022 colors of the year and if life changes are crowding in, we can help you redefine your home with custom storage and organization solutions that reflect how you live today. Call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home consultation or virtual* consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and make 2022 your year of renewal.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at every location