July is independence month when cherished freedom and independence are celebrated all month long with flags, parades, speeches, and get-togethers of all kinds all, from sea to shining sea! Food, flags, and fireworks are part of the excitement to mark important and memorable moments in history:
- July 4, 1776, was the first official Independence Day for the new United States
Mark the special days with flags, remembrances, and celebrations
Whether you celebrate with just family members or a few guests, you’ll want non-stop activities and festive foods for the energetic as well as the chill-out crowd for the perfect day. Tailored Living® has some tips and ideas that will help you get started planning a memorable day filled with food, fun, and fireworks!
Mobilize your spaces
With a patio or deck right off a kitchen, dining room or family room, all you have to do is create a natural flow to the deck, patio, or pool deck so people effortlessly travel back and forth between outdoors and indoors.
- Visually connect the spaces by uncovering sliding glass doors. Pull window coverings to the side, completely out of the way.
- Unclutter the deck or patio so it’s more inviting and paint or re-stain any dingy surfaces to restore original beauty. For a worn floor, a quick upgrade is PremierTrax® garage floor tiles that install in one day, are durable and safe for children to play on, and they stay cooler and cleaner than wood, stone or concrete.
- Build cabinets and countertops around an existing barbeque, creating an efficient outdoor kitchen, with a small refrigerator to hold drinks.
- Add handy storage to control clutter with cabinets and storage benches and bins.
- Extend the comforts of the patio to the pool area by providing lounges, chairs, tables, and umbrellas, so swimmers and sun bathers can stay close to the water and all the action. Have extra sunblock and beach towels.
- Balance sun and shade for a comfortable day with patio covers, awnings, solar shades, and adjustable patio umbrellas to keep your spaces cool and everyone protected from the sun and too much heat.
- Keep unwanted pests away day and night with these 7 Ways to Make Your Yard & Home a Bug-Free Zone.
Creatively use all your space with activity and relaxation options for kids and adults (see the full home makeover at Extreme Makeover: Home Edition)
Fuel the day with lots of food
Celebrations run on food and plenty of it! Plan a menu with fresh and feel-good foods to make everyone swoon with delight, meat eaters and vegans alike. Fire up the grill for BBQ chicken, ribs, burger sliders, hot dogs, grilled double-cheese sandwiches, mushroom veggie burgers, and roasted corn and vegetables. Dazzle with cold macaroni, bean, and potato salads and veggie trays with dips and hummus.
- Keep everyone fully hydrated with sparkling waters, iced tea, wine coolers, beer, lemonade, soda of all kinds, and frosty blender drinks, including smoothies, Daiquiris and Pina Coladas.
- Keep the sweet-and-salty-favorite-snack-foods rule with bowls of salty snacks like chips and nuts, and then top off the menu with tasty sweets: fresh fruits, red, white, and blue desserts, platters of cookies, brownies, and an ice cream sundae bar.
- Use mesh food covers to protect exposed food and cold food buffet serving trays to ensure safe eating all day long.
Have a good variety of healthy options and fun foods so everyone is happy
All activities, all day long
A mix of indoor and outdoor activities will ensure no one gets bored or gets too much sun. Popping indoors for some relaxing cool with fun things to do makes for a perfectly balanced day.
- Board games can be set up indoors or out, with lawn games like croquet and horseshoes to get people gently moving, or high energy fare with volleyball, badminton, and basketball.
- With a pool, swimming will be a main attraction with games like Marco Polo, dive sticks, and chicken fights. For more pool game ideas check out: 15 Fun Swimming Pool Games for Kids.
- Provide plenty of lounging and comfortable relaxing with patio chairs, poolside chaises, and beach blankets on the grass, with awnings or shade umbrellas to beat the heat.
- Indoor or outdoor crafts will keep little hands busy and create an opportunity to talk about why July is a month of celebration. Check out Kids 4th of July Crafts for some fun ideas.
- Spice up your favorite party soundtrack with some patriotic favorites to make your guests sit up and take notice: America (Neil Diamond), The Stars and Stripes Forever (John Philip Sousa), God Bless the U.S.A. (Lee Greenwood), and Made In America (Toby Keith).
- Indoor theater complete with popcorn can be a wind-down in the evening with a selection of patriotic movies from the classic Smith Goes to Washington with Jimmy Stewart to the fun and fanciful National Treasure with Nicholas Cage, and the adrenalin-rush Captain America: The First Avenger.
Have a no-fault, at-home fireworks show
If setting off fireworks is part of your celebration, be mindful of the dangers and take appropriate precautions so your precious people and your property are safe. Especially beware of small children and pets who can sneak in where they should not be, such as next to dad when he’s lighting the fireworks. Here are ten tips for keeping everyone safe while having a bang-up time!
- Be sure fireworks are legal in your area before using or buying them. Check hereto see what your state’s laws are; you don’t want uninvited police at the party.
- Never disassemble or try to make your own fireworks.
- Always have adult supervision for fireworks activities and never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks unattended, including sparklers. Sparklers burn at temperatures of about 2,000 degrees and account for 25 percent of emergency room fireworks injuries. (National Fire Protection Association)
- Safer alternatives to sparklers for young children are glow sticks, confetti poppers or colored streamers.
- Keep a bucket of water handy in case of malfunction or fire, and don’t relight the duds; soak them in water and throw away.
- Use fireplace butane lighters with long barrels instead of matches to prevent burned fingers.
- Only light fireworks on the ground and in areas that are dry and fire-resistant.
- Never ignite fireworks in a container or hold them as they go off.
- Never point sparklers or fireworks at anyone.
- Babies and pets can be frightened by loud fireworks. Keep them away from the action in a safe, quiet place or use noise-blocking headgear. (Muffy Baby Earmuffs)
Keeping everyone safe is an important part of a memorable Independence Day celebration
Tailored Living is dedicated to helping families live comfortably in all their spaces, free from clutter and chaos so that no matter what rolls around—holidays, sun days, rain days, and every day—you’ll be confident and ready for whatever life brings. We can help with custom cabinetry and innovative storage and organization solutions for all areas of your home: custom closets, home offices, entryways, laundry rooms, pantries, craft rooms, and garage storage and garage flooring. Call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home or virtual* consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and scroll through our online Design Guide for inspiration to transform your home.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations.