Have you ever done a web search for household cleaning tips and ended up spending hours trying to sort through the hundreds of suggestions? Not only can too many options give you a headache, but after reading them all there’s no time left for cleaning!
Don't make housecleaning harder than it needs to be by overdosing on hundreds of helpful hints
Tailored Living® would like to make it easier for you to not only have a cleaner home but also to have more time to enjoy it. As whole-home organization specialists, we know the value of a calm and welcoming home. So, here are some tried-and-true cleaning hacks for the biggest problem areas: the kitchen, bathrooms, and floors. By focusing on just a few amazing natural products, you can streamline cleaning your home in record time:
- White vinegar (a natural disinfectant)
- Baking soda (antibacterial, deodorizing)
- 3% Hydrogen peroxide (antibacterial, antiviral, and antifungal)
- Shaving cream, not gel (gentle cleaning agents)
- Borax (natural mold inhibitor)
Sanitize the kitchen as you clean
In the kitchen, there are daily cleaning tasks like wiping down countertops, but there are also those occasional grimy jobs that get put off. Save time and get great results with effective cleaning solutions made from safe, natural products for those jobs nobody likes to do.
No more grueling hours cleaning the kitchen with quick solutions that work and give you peace of mind regarding your family's health
Refrigerator: three options for a quick clean
- Clean the refrigerator with a solution of two teaspoons of Borax in five cups of warm water.
- Use equal parts white vinegar and water solution, wiping down walls, shelves, drawers, and doors, including sealing gaskets. Use vinegar full-strength on the top of the fridge (and the stove hood) to cut the extra-grimy buildup.
- Liberally spray the inside of the refrigerator with hydrogen peroxide and let the solution sit for a few minutes, then wipe clean.
Helpful tip: Put a new, open box of baking soda in the cleaned fridge to absorb odors for up to three months.
Microwave: remove stuck-on food and deodorize
- Place a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave with one cup of water and either two tablespoons of white vinegar or a sliced lemon peel added.
- Run on high for five minutes or until the solution boils and the window is steamy.
- Let it cool for 10 minutes, remove the bowl, and wipe the inside clean.
Helpful tip: Use a microwave food cover to protect your food and prevent future messes.
Stainless steel appliances: restore shine and sanitize
- Spray appliances with a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution, then wipe dry with the grain to restore shine.
- Clean the surface of stainless steel appliances with a thin layer of shaving cream. Wipe away the cream and buff the surface with a clean microfiber cloth.
- Clean stainless steel sinks by sprinkling baking soda on a damp sink or make a paste of one-half cup Borax and two tablespoons of lemon juice. Scrub the sink and rinse for a sparkling sink.
Helpful tip: Clean kitchen sponges by soaking in a 50/50 mixture of hydrogen peroxide and warm water for 10 minutes. Rinse the sponges and let them dry.
Keep bathrooms sparkling clean
Undoubtedly the least favorite place to clean, bathrooms have soap scum, rust, and mold plaguing the humid surroundings. Safely clean every area of your bathroom with ease and without chemicals that can cause allergic reactions and impact the air quality in your home.
Bathrooms sparkle without the need for harsh chemicals that can destroy beautiful finishes
Showers and tubs: clean and disinfect
- Coat the surface with a 50/50 paste of baking soda and water, then spray with a 50/50 mixture of white vinegar and water and wipe it clean. Works for both tile and vinyl shower stalls.
- Use Borax on a damp cloth to scrub away tub and shower dirt and mold. Rinse.
- Clean a showerhead of scum and water deposits by placing a plastic bag filled with white vinegar around the head, secured with a rubber band or tape. Leave overnight, rinse and dry.
Helpful tip: Use a squeegee on the shower walls and door after every use to save time battling soap scum and water spots later.
Sinks and countertops: eliminate water spots
- Daily clean surfaces with a 50/50 white vinegar and water spray that is also safe and effective for cleaning chrome, stainless steel, gold-plated, and bronze bathroom fixtures. Spritz, rub with a cloth or sponge and wipe dry.
- DIY deep clean with a paste of one cup of baking soda, one teaspoon liquid soap, a splash of water, and several drops of an antibacterial essential oil such as tea tree or peppermint. Use the paste with a sponge or brush to scour all bathroom surfaces, except wood. Rinse and dry with a clean cloth.
- Clean the bathroom mirror and eliminate fogging with shaving cream. Coat the mirror, wipe it off, and buff until it shines. This works for glass shower doors and car windshields too.
Helpful tip: A roll of paper towels under the sink will make it easy for everyone to dry counters and sinks after use.
Toilets: effortless cleaning
- Two ways to clean toilets while you sleep! Pour a can of Pepsi or Coca-Cola around the sides of the bowl and let it sit overnight. Or, one cup Borax and one-half cup vinegar and leave overnight. In the morning, scrub and flush.
- For immediate clean, pour either a half-cup of white vinegar or a half-cup of hydrogen peroxide into the toilet bowl, let stand for 20 minutes, then scrub clean.
- With a 50/50 white vinegar and water solution, spray the entire toilet and wipe down the seat, rim, lid, and sides.
Helpful tip: Remove stubborn rust with a paste of one cup warm water, one cup Borax, and two tablespoons lemon juice. Apply the paste to the rusted item and leave for 20 minutes. Rinse and scrub away the rust with a dish scrubber or stainless steel sponge.
Make floors an easier cleaning chore
Hard-surfaced or carpeted, keeping the floors clean can be an ongoing challenge. One way to make it easier is to realize that you don’t need a different product for every type of floor. Check out these easy solutions to keep any floor surface clean, including tile, vinyl, laminate, and hardwood.
No-rinse cleansing solutions cut cleaning time and help to keep all the floors clean all the time
Hard-surface flooring: brighten and sanitize dingy floors
- Combine a half-cup of hydrogen peroxide with one gallon of hot water, to safely clean any type of flooring, including hardwoods. Because it’s so mild, no rinsing is necessary. Check out Will Hydrogen Peroxide Damage Hardwood Floors?
- Add one-half cup of white vinegar to one gallon of warm water, with an optional teaspoon of mild dish soap. No need to rinse and the vinegar smell will disappear as the floor dries.
- Mix two tablespoons of Borax, one-quarter cup white vinegar, and a squirt of dish soap to a gallon of warm water and really clean up.
Helpful tip: Vacuum or dust mop first to remove dirt. Wring out your mop as dry as possible and mop section by section, in one direction, refreshing the mop regularly. Do not saturate the floor or leave any puddles behind.
Carpeting: tackle stains when they happen
- Remove stains from carpet by spraying the area with shaving cream, working it in with a damp sponge. Let it dry completely and vacuum up the stain. This works for stains on upholstery too.
- Fill a spray bottle with two cups of warm water, one-fourth cup of white vinegar, and one tablespoon of clear dish soap. Spray area liberally and let soak for 5-10 minutes and then blot with a clean, dry towel, repeating until stain is removed.
- Sprinkle carpets with baking soda 30 minutes before vacuuming to freshen and eliminate odors.
Helpful tip: Before you vacuum, empty the vacuum cleaner bag to improve suction.
Clean and organized go hand in hand
If you find your cleaning plan derailed by clutter, it might be time to look at storage and organization solutions for your home. With a place for everything, you can enhance your cleaning efficiency. Tailored Living designers are experts at whole-home organization and innovative storage solutions for every area of your home, including custom closet organization, garage storage cabinets and flooring, home office design, and more. Call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home, or virtual* consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.
To check what’s in any household cleaner, go to Consumer Product Information Database and search by product name.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations