If you have a kitchen pantry where things go to die, it’s time to whip that space into shape before the holidays! There’s nothing worse than not being able to find what you need when you need it, or to finally dig it out only to discover that it’s gone bad. An organized pantry stocked with the foods your family loves will make everyday tasks easier and holiday entertaining more fun.
- Have what’s needed for meal preparation, dressing up leftovers, and creating holiday treats.
- Keep plenty of healthy snacks and drinks on hand so your family can help themselves.
- Create a grocery list in record time when you can see exactly what needs replenishing.
Having a pantry is a great beginning, but it’s only half the battle. A pantry needs to be organized to really be helpful. A messy, chaotic pantry is just one more stress point in your day. For efficiency, you need to be able to actually see what’s in the pantry by eliminating random stacks and piles and clearly labeling the contents. Tailored Living® can help maximize and create organized pantry space within an existing pantry or work with you to find additional pantry space in your home.
The dreaded pantry purge
Cleaning out jumbled spaces is not everyone’s idea of fun, but there are advocates everywhere, like Jennifer Morrison (star of This Is Us TV series) who claims, “Cleaning is my favorite way to relax. I clear things out and get rid of the stuff I don't need. When the food pantry and the refrigerator are organized, I feel less stressed.” High five, Jennifer!
Downsizing the contents of an over-stuffed pantry is the first step to gaining control of your pantry storage. Undoubtedly there are many things in your pantry that can be removed since pantries tend to become victims of excess for many reasons:
- Buying in bulk often means that more food can go bad than ever gets used.
- Impulse purchases like Buffalo jerky or clotted cream that end up having limited appeal.
- Not paying attention to expiration dates (check the stuff at the back of the shelves).
- Keeping things that no one will eat again like weight-loss powders or sawdust protein bars.
- Putting things in the pantry that don’t belong there.
Customized storage solutions for the way you live
Families are different and pantry needs are different. For some, cereal is a main staple and those boxes need lots of space. Another pantry may require storage for mountains of fresh fruits and vegetables or specialty wine racks for an impressive collection. An avid baker will have need for flours and sugars that differ from a family where everyone fends for themselves when schedules collide. Tailored Living can design specific pantry storage solutions that will enable you to keep your pantry organized, accessible, and stocked with everything your family needs:
- Pullout baskets keep individually packaged snacks and foods readily available, and you can easily keep an eye on supply.
- Heavy-duty drawers safely organize canned goods, sorted by type like soup, vegetables, or fruit.
- Adjustable shelves can accommodate short items and taller items like platters and baking sheets with shelf dividers, so things stay tidy.
- Enclosed cabinets can hide bulky appliances, kitchen linens, two-liter soda bottles, or whatever you don’t want openly displayed.
- Store wine bottles in specialty racks designed to preserve freshness and flavor.
- Spice racks keep all your small spices in one place, so they don’t get lost among pantry contents.
Stay organized with pantry enhancements
Now that your pantry is functional for you, fine-tuning your storage needs can be the final step to keeping it pretty and perfect! Labeling sections such as for baking products or breakfast foods will help the whole family find what they need and make it easy to return things to their proper place. Clear, air-tight containers preserve opened or unsealed foods and let you see exactly what is in the pantry. Stick-on labels can identify contents or use chalk paint on glass containers to create reusable storage jars.
Your pantry, your way
With Tailored Living, you’ll end up with a pantry extraordinaire! Whether you have a large, walk-in pantry, a converted closet, or a transformed section of kitchen cabinets, custom design for the way you live and cook will make every meal, every party, and every day more enjoyable.
Call 866-712-3404 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation. Your local Tailored Living designer can maximize your existing pantry or help you find new pantry space you may not have considered. As whole-home organization specialists, we also offer custom storage solutions to declutter and organize any other area of your home that might need help. We’re experts with custom closet organizers, home office design, Murphy Beds, laundry room organization, garage storage cabinets, custom garage flooring, and more, for stress-free living.
Check out Shelf Life of Pantry Foods (thespruceeats.com) for a complete list of foods and expiration dates to guarantee freshness.