After the tumultuous year that was 2020, people are looking for a fresh start in the New Year. “What’s next?” is the question on everyone’s minds as uncertainty accosts us around every corner. If the restrictions, quarantines, and social distancing are still driving you mad, there is one way you can break out of the repression and express yourself, even reinvent yourself, in 2021. With color! In your home and in your wardrobe, you can change things up for a refreshing new take on the new year.
Use color to add whimsy and fun throughout your home for feel-good moments whatever you’re doing
2021’s Colors of the Year present beautiful possibilities
This year, the colors of the year took a slightly different turn. Rather than selecting one statement color to define the new year, multiple colors and full color palettes were selected by Pantone Color InstituteTM, the ultimate color guru, and major paint companies to help people refresh and redefine their lives and reduce the stress of the ongoing pandemic. Tailored Living® has compiled five of the top color influencers—Pantone, Sherwin-Williams®, Benjamin Moore®, PPG, and Behr®—to help you work your way through the color maze and create your personal best looks for 2021.
Pantone’s dynamic duo
For the first time in its history, Pantone has selected two colors. Illuminating, a sunny yellow, to represent a renewed sense of optimism and enthusiasm for the new year, and Ultimate Gray to acknowledgement the resiliency that got us through all the challenges of 2020. Leatrice Eiseman, Executive Director of Pantone Color Institute, explains the historic duo: “The union of an enduring Ultimate Gray with the vibrant yellow Illuminating expresses a message of positivity supported by fortitude. Practical and rock solid but at the same time warming and optimistic, this is a color combination that gives us resilience and hope. We need to feel encouraged and uplifted; this is essential to the human spirit.”
Tailored Living recently installed a custom closet storage system for one of our social media influencers, spot on for the new year with bright yellow closet doors (See below for more info)
- Ultimate Gray presents a neutral background just waiting for awakening pops of color from Illuminating and other bright accent colors in rugs, lamps, and decorative pillows.
- Sunny yellow can liven up a room as a painted end table, framed art, or a fun and fanciful vase full of daffodils.
- Kelly and Jeff Mindell (StudioDIY) welcomed home a new baby and chose bright yellow sunburst closet doors to bring the sunshine in. (Read the post: Three Real-Life Closet Makeovers For Social Media Celebs)
Benjamin Moore’s Aegean Teal
Supported by a Color Trends Palette, Benjamin Moore chose just one Color of the Year for 2021, Aegean Teal. It’s restful, cool, and in the ever-popular family of blues, loved by all from the palest tones to deep, saturated color. Andrea Magno, Director of color marketing and development with Benjamin Moore paint says, “Aegean Teal is a color to nourish your spirit, it is intriguing, balanced and deeply soothing. It is a color that inspires us to enjoy our homes; to ‘settle in’ and appreciate the simple pleasures of life.” Paint your walls for a calming sanctuary or use Aegean Teal as a highlight color to enliven more neutral surroundings. Bring teal into your wardrobe, it’s one of the most flattering colors for all skin types and coordinates beautifully with a wide range of colors.
Shades of teal from light to dark are at home in any room from the living room to the kitchen and bath
- A home office takes on a calming ambiance with Aegean Teal cabinets paired with a natural wood desktop workspace.
- Invoke all the serenity of the sea in a shades-of-teal tiled walk-in shower for an in-home spa experience.
- Add some bright contrast with white or ivory and metallic accessories in gold, brass, or silver.
Sherwin-Williams’ new neutral, Urbane Bronze
Sue Wadden, director of color marketing for Sherwin-Williams, explains,“Urbane Bronze is a comforting color, drawing from nature for a feeling of relaxation and serenity. It encourages you to create a sanctuary space for mindful reflection and renewal.” The bold, rich color is inviting, creating a sophisticated, comforting haven to shed the stresses of the world. Equally timeless and trendy, this warm, earthy color with notes of gray is a “new neutral” that goes well in any part of your home, combined with natural wood finishes, stone accents, and metallic adornments for organic appeal.
The comfort of home was never more beautiful, accented with contrasting colors and creamy, light neutrals
- Urbane Bronze coordinates with colors in warm spicy tones from reds and oranges to earthy sage greens, shades of blue, and golden yellows.
- Create drama with Urbane Bronze as a primary or accent color combined with warm whites and barely-there brighter colors.
- Transform your master bedroom with convenience and superb style with a dark brown custom closet from Tailored Living.
PPG makes a case for nostalgia
PPG’s first-ever Color Palette of the Year presents three soft neutral shades for 2021—Transcend, Big Cypress, and Misty Aqua—for their “Be Well” nod to the new year, evoking comfort, compassion, and nostalgia. PPG explains the three-fold choice, “Both natural and serene, our 2021 paint color palette of the year was chosen by our color and design experts to bring warm lightness and a sense of calm to a space. This palette is also easy to use and flexible, made with versatile tones that can be used as either the supporting or dominant color in the room.” Warm up the cold of winter by planning a spring or summer makeover for your home with these colors.
The palette evokes a trip to the seashore with the combined colors of the sea, sand, and coral, or maybe a trip to Tiffany’s in playful art for milady’s bedroom
- If a neutrals palette seems too … neutral … follow the 60-30-10 design rule of 60% dominant color, 30% secondary color, and 10% devoted to the accent color/s to make things pop.
- Reminiscent of the 80s Southwest desert-scape décor, capture those soothing colors for any room in your home with the modern twist of layered textures and geometric patterns.
- Transform your garage into functional living space with custom garage storage cabinets and a PremierOne® epoxy garage floor in luscious warm browns.
Behr’s 21 color salute to elevated comfort
Behr’s Color Trends 2021 Palette offers a wide range of colors, both warm and cool, that present incredible scope for design and style imagination. From subtle pastels and soft neutrals to vibrant and rich, saturated colors, you’ll be able to find that balance that reflects your personality. Erika Woelfel, Vice President of Color at Behr, says, "The relationship we have with our homes has significantly shifted because of the pandemic and we believe paint color has never played a more important role to set a certain mood, generate positive feelings, or provide a sense of comfort." This year take a tip from Behr and find your home bliss through color and create an atmosphere in your home that says, “We like it here and we have fun here!”
Behr’s 2021 Color Trends Palette lets you embrace the power of color coupled with creative expression to bring more of what you need into your life
- Break the monotony of too much time in the kitchen by updating cabinetry and walls with fresh, stimulating new colors.
- Rugs and accent pieces in textures, bright patterns, and shiny metallics will completely change the feel in the family or TV room without the expense of buying new furniture.
- Mix up color schemes and rotate furniture pieces to different rooms for reimagined use. Example: replace the wood coffee table with an ottoman and decorative tray on top or repaint a bookcase and use it as a free-standing linen closet.
No one knows what 2021 has in store, but you can certainly make home the most comfortable and fun place for your family to be. Renew your living spaces with your favorite 2021 colors of year and maximize every room with custom storage and organization solutions from Tailored Living. Call 866-712-3404 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or virtual* consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at every location