Girl Garages are on the rise! With forty percent of U.S. households headed by women, that’s forty percent of garages that are undisputed girl territory. More and more girls are maximizing their garages in ways that bring fun, function, and efficiency to their lives:
- Additional closet space
- Home gym or yoga studio
- Crafts, hobby and woodworking
- Media room or play area for the kids
- Tricked-out, full-service laundry room
Make your garage a calm and organized addition to your home
Tailored Living® is ready to help you turn your garage into wonderfully usable living space through custom PremierGarage® storage cabinets and garage accessories that organize your space, designed with you in mind. Follow these four tips to have an extraordinary Girl Garage that you can enjoy every day.
Tip One: Give your garage a woman’s touch
An unfinished garage is not very appealing with an ugly concrete floor and unfinished beams and walls, making it difficult to envision anything different for the space. Once the garage is cleared of all the dust, spiders, and cobwebs it’s not so scary and some cosmetic improvements will make it easier to embrace the space as potential beautiful, functional living space!
- Clean the garage thoroughly, dusting and vacuuming walls, floors and ceiling.
- Paint unfinished walls of bare concrete or drywall, using a light color (or colors) to brighten up the space. Even paint the ceiling.
- Banish the “haunted house” ambiance by increasing lighting to reach into all corners. Natural light enhanced with overhead lighting will make a world of difference in how the space feels.
- Create a safe and easy-care environment with new garage flooring, like one of Tailored Living’s five industrial-strength PremierOne® garage floor epoxy coatings or PremierTrax® garage floor tiles.
Start with clean and fresh for endless possibilities in your garage
Tip Two: Choose the best use of the space
Top of the list for efficient garage use is probably parking your car to protect that major investment, along with providing secure access to the house for loading and unloading kids, pets, and groceries. Then, depending on the size of your garage, you could transform the space with customized storage solutions into whatever your heart desires:
- Storage space for household needs, including additional cabinet and closet storage for seasonal wear, holiday decorations, or pantry overflow.
- If you’re a crafter or have a family of crafters, set up a crafts/hobby center in the garage.
- An exercise area for a good cardio session or relaxing with Yoga may be your dream.
- Give your green thumb a workout with a gardening center and potting bench.
- Unwind with friends after a long day with wine and cheese in a garage She Shed “lounge.”
- A dedicated laundry area can revolutionize laundry day with countertops for sorting and folding and cabinets and shelves to store essential supplies.
- Give the kids a bonus room with games and media so they can enjoy a change of pace from being in the house.
Additional closet space (@TheSaltyBlonde) or crafting space can make for the perfect Girl Garage
Tip Three: Beauty and practicality go hand in hand
Making the garage an extension of your home’s style is easy with Tailored Living’s PremierGarage storage cabinets, available in a variety of styles and colors in laminate finishes and real wood stains. Enclosed cabinets hide clutter and give your garage a clean, uniform look and can be integrated with drawers, shelves, work countertops, and Slatwall wall storage panels to make your garage work for you. Custom storage solutions tailored to fit around appliances, doors, windows, and water heaters capture all available space with floor-to-ceiling cabinets, upper and lower cabinets, Slatwall wall hanging storage, and overhead ceiling storage with stationary racks and automated lifts.
- Optional cabinet and drawer locks create secure storage for tools or hazardous materials like paint products.
- LED lights can be integrated in the cabinet design to light up workspaces or make contents easy to see.
- Adjustable shelveslet you customize for large and small items, adjusting as your storage needs change.
Slatwall over a countertop can easily organize tools, gardening supplies, or craft and hobby necessities
Tip Four: Complete your Girl Garage with a basic home maintenance toolkit
Having the proper tools on hand to make home repairs or to fuel a hobby will make your functional garage complete. Projects can range from hanging a picture to building an outside wood deck. The bigger the project the more (and bigger) tools you’ll need but, for starters, here are basic tools you should have for the well-dressed Girl Garage:
- Tape measure, 25-ft
- Two screwdrivers, flat head and Phillips, medium size
- Three pliers, needle-nose, grooved, and vise-grip
- One torpedo level, at least nine-inch length
- Hammer, medium weight
- Wire cutters
- Stud finder
- Combination wrenches
- Cordless drill
- Blue painter’s tape
- Utility blades and holder
- Metal straightedge ruler, long level or angle
- Spackle or joint compound
- Putty knife
- Assortment of nails and screws
- Glues: superglue, carpenter’s or wood glue, and white glue
- Solvents like Goo Gone or Goof Off
- Handy-dandy book for a home repair novice: Girls Garage: How to Use Any Tool, Tackle Any Project, and Build the World You Want to See (Emily Pilloton)
- Or, check out The 7 Best Home Tool Kits of 2021 for one-stop shopping
Don’t wait any longer to convert your underused garage space into your perfect Girl Garage with convenient storage space and additional living space to enhance everyday activities. In the words of “Grease Girl” Kristin Cline, “It could just be my girlish imagination, but I’m pretty sure that when it comes to being in the garage, girls really do have more fun.”
Go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you or call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home or virtual* consultation to discuss your garage needs and how we can help you make the space truly your own.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.