Does it sound strange to hear “clean” and “garage” in the same sentence? It’s really not an impossibility even though garages are notorious for being messy, dusty, and thoroughly uninviting. The aftermath of winter may be a garage with additional mess and clutter, including sports equipment, spilled rock salt, and muddy boots, but rather than closing the door on the chaos—again—make a plan to clean your garage with these helpful tips from Tailored Living®. And then, implement storage solutions to ensure your garage stays clean and useful year-round.
You’ll love having a clean and organized garage that lets you find what you need without tripping over stacks and piles
A shop vac to the rescue
Garage dirt can run the gamut from pesky dust to moisture-laden dirt and gunk on the floor. Wet-dry vacs have long been considered the holy grail of garage cleaning tools and with good reason. Shop.vac® is an actual brand, but it’s also become the descriptive handle for any brand of wet-dry vacuums. Shop vacs have the capability to vacuum up wet and dry debris so they are ideal for garages that can be a challenge to clean with dust cloths and push brooms. They make quick work of dusty shelves, windows, stacks of boxes, pooled water, or gardening equipment piled in a corner that’s been collecting dust since last spring. Attachments like crevice tools, dusting brush, bare floor brush, and extension wands can quickly clean hard-to-reach places as well as eliminating dirt you really don’t want to touch such as spider webs, dead bugs, rodent droppings, or toxic spills like pesticides. The ability to convert the shop vac to a blower lets you clean under elevated racks and effortlessly clear away leaves and debris on driveways and walkways.
The right tools make it easier to keep the garage clean to protect your cars, stored items, and your family’s health
A clean garage contributes to your whole house staying cleaner by eliminating tracked in dirt, oil, pollen, and anything else that could stick to the garage floor (and shoes). Having special cleaning elements in the garage for regular maintenance will ensure a clean and user-friendly garage in between deep cleans with the shop vac.
- Microfiber towels, washable or disposable, are handy for cleaning up spills or wiping down workspaces when you’ve finished your task, including work benches and washers and dryers.
- Washable lambswool dusters can easily slide on top of and in between boxes or bins stacked on shelves to prevent dust from accumulating.
- Lambswool is safe for dusting off your car, truck, or motorcycle without scratching the finish.
- Protect all your hand tools and garden tools and keep them clean and rust-free with WD-40 and special tool cleaners that cut grime and keep moving parts lubricated.
- For more information on tool maintenance and DIY cleaning solutions: How to Clean Tools.
An unfinished concrete floor in the garage makes it almost impossible to keep your garage clean. Surface cracks and crevices attract and hold dust and dirt, and its porosity retains moisture that can facilitate the growth of mold and bacteria, creating an unhealthy environment. Easy-care custom garage flooring from Tailored Living will help keep your garage cleaner with surfaces that resist spills and moisture, as well as reducing dust and dirt buildup. Choose industry-tough PremierOne® epoxy floor coatings or PremierTrax® interlocking flexible tiles for a finished floor that beautifies and protects your garage.
Your garage will stay cleaner than you ever imagined possible with a custom garage floor from Tailored Living
- PremierOne epoxy floor coatings are available in five different styles, and the non-porous surface cures to twice as hard as traditional epoxies, making your garage floor resistant to gasoline, auto fluids, paint thinner, pesticides and other household chemicals.
- The unique open-weave design of PremierTrax tiles gives a slip-resistant surface that is easy to keep clean since spills pass right through and can be hosed away.
- All our PremierOne floors are impervious to hot or cold, wet or dry, stains, cracking, fading and peeling.
Efficient storage solutions keep your garage cleaner
If cleanliness is not the only challenge in your garage, custom storage solutions can get your garage organized and free of clutter, making cleaning much easier. When garage contents are piled, stacked, and scattered on the floor, it’s hard to make any headway with cleaning and you may get discouraged. The right storage solutions will transform your garage into an easy-care, highly functional space you’ll love.
Garage storage cabinets
Garage cabinets from Tailored Living are designed to perfectly fit the space you have, maximizing your garage’s storage capacity. Custom cabinets can fit around doors, windows, and water heaters, with the option of sliding doors where conventional cabinet doors won’t work. Floor-to-ceiling enclosed cabinets let you organize storage, hiding the clutter and reducing dust and dirt buildup. Various style, color, and finish options let you create exactly the look you want in your garage.
Keep the natural light and still have lots of storage with custom cabinets that protect everything you have
Slatwall wall storage
Cabinets are only one option for getting your garage organized, Slatwall panels can create amazing storage options for everything from a small screwdriver to a coiled garden hose or bike. Able to support 100 lbs. per square foot, these customizable panels can convert corner nooks or entire walls into very versatile storage with attachable hooks, shelves, and basket accessories for safe, secure storage.
Open storage makes it extra easy to dust or shop vac to keep your tools and sports equipment clean and tidy
Storage tips for a cleaner garage
Preventative measures will go a long way to keeping your garage cleaner and more organized. Here are some storage tips for maintaining your garage for maximum efficiency.
- Use plastic, lidded storage bins instead of cardboard boxes to protect stored items; cardboard absorbs moisture, attracts pests, and deteriorates over time.
- Transfer bags that can burst open and spill into plastic containers (pet food, sand, plant food).
- Create DIY moisture absorbers using charcoal briquettes or sidewalk chalk. Put several pieces in a breathable bag and place in a cabinet, drawer, or near tools to prevent rust and eliminate moisture.
- Create low-level storage with shelves, drawers or baskets so kids can manage their own things like sports and hobby equipment.
- Store seldom-used items up high; keep what you use most often within easy reach to eliminate constantly shifting things around.
- Keep the floor clear. Bulky items like camping tents, holiday decorations, and lawn furniture can store out of the way in overhead storage racks, including automated lifts.
- Purge, purge, purge! Get rid of items you no longer need or want. Donate or sell what is in good condition and throw away the rest.
Transform your garage into extended living space with custom storage solutions that keep it clean and user-friendly all day long, every day! Call 866-641-8958 (US) or 866-973-8221 (CAN) today or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free, in-home or virtual* consultation. In line with social distancing and recommended safety precautions, we can evaluate your needs, design your garage storage and flooring in a realistic 3D color display so you can see how it will look, and schedule installation when the time is right for you.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.