Tailored Living® is no stranger to celebrity renovations, with projects over the years that include the Property Brothers (Jonathan and Drew Scott), George to the Rescue, Rev Run and Justine Simmons, and Lisa Canning, a popular Toronto designer. Most recently, Marc and Jill Javet, franchise owners of Tailored Living serving Downtown Toronto, helped give Lisa a dream playroom in the basement of her new home.
Lisa is mom to six-and-three-quarters kids (baby on board!) and an interior designer and lifestyle expert with an attitude that mirrors Tailored Living’s passion for helping people. Her declared passion is “ensuring that every room in your home is as beautiful as it is functional for the way you live,” and she talks about all things home and family on her Canadian website, Lisa Canning.ca. Lisa has been featured on Canadian W Network’s/HGTV U.S.’s Buying and selling With the Property Brothers, HGTV’s For Rent, Beautiful People on Canada’s Slice Network, and the Marilyn Denis Show on CTV.
So, design expert that she is, who did Lisa call when she needed to renovate the basement playroom in her new home? Tailored Living! She explains, “I worked with Tailored Living on this space, and the big reason why I love working with them is they make it so convenient for you to achieve organization and order by bringing you all the samples during an in-home consultation, taking all the measurements, working with you on a 3-D design that will be ideal for your family, installing the cabinets quickly and simply, and really just getting you where you need to go in regards to your organizational goals.”
We couldn’t have said it better ourselves! Let’s take a look at the dream playroom that brought peace and calm into her world of a very busy mom.
Organized space can transform your life
Lisa described the before basement as a sea of boxes. It was always messy and chaotic with toys dumped out and scattered and she didn’t like to go down there. For her, the floor-to-ceiling cabinets in the playroom were a game changer, creating a serene, functional and modern aesthetic where her family could play and relax. Being able to close the doors on clutter turned the basement into a place where she now loves to spend time.
- Overhead cabinets are great for books and board games
- Lower cabinets hide large bins for small toys, with shelves for big, bulky toys
- Drawers hold art supplies like paper, paint, scissors, markers and glittery stickers
- Convenient storage makes it easy for the kids to learn how to be neat and organized
- An integrated sink makes cleanup quick for countertops and sticky little hands
“With drawers and doors, visual clutter is gone. Even if the contents of the drawers and toy bins are a jumbled mess, behind closed doors and drawer fronts, no one is the wiser.” –Lisa Canning
Organized space is beautiful space
White Shaker style cabinetry with dark counter tops and dark gray, Licorice wood grain drawer fronts on the large island create a striking contrast that adds excitement to the room. The Shaker style drawer and door fronts and custom hardware add interesting details for a unique, edgy look. Working with her black and white color palette, it’s the perfect balance of dark and light.
- Matte black walls work magic in the space that is infused with tons of natural light
- Metallic accents include gold picture frames, burnished gold hardware and repainted stools to match
- The black matte faucet at the sink blends into the background of dark walls and countertops
- The minimalist, clean-lines aesthetic makes for a peaceful space
The ultimate multi-purpose space
The basement space also accommodates a home office that can be closed off for serious work and a surprise alcove that became a quiet sunroom for peaceful contemplation. This makes it easy to keep an eye on the kids, but also put in some “adult time” when needed to meet deadlines or just unwind.
- The home office is geared to getting serious work done whether or not the playroom is in full swing
- Glass-inset doors allow working quietly while still visually connected with the kids at play
- An electric fireplace media unit with big screen TV adds a touch of cozy comfort as well as functionality
- The sunroom with potted plants, fresh herbs and a full view of the outside, is the perfect place to breathe deeply and slow down
You can see the entire basement/playroom makeover on Lisa’s video here: How to Create a Modern Playroom—My Full Basement Tour.
Tailored Living is ready to help you gain control of any out-of-control spaces in your home, including closets, family rooms, home offices, pantries, laundry rooms, entryways and garages. Our innovative storage solutions and organizational expertise can bring calm out of chaos anywhere you need it. Call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home consultation.
Take it from Lisa, “If you are craving some organization and some cabinetry solutions, (Tailored Living) can come to you with everything and make your life so simple.”
Check out some past Tailored Living celebrity makeovers: