Tailored Living®, parent company Home Franchise Concepts (HFC), and sister brands Budget Blinds®, Concrete Craft®, and AdvantaClean® recently participated with HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition for an extreme makeover of the Fifita family home in Hawthorne, California. The makeover transformed the entire home, including almost doubling the square footage, from 887 to 1,600+ sq. ft., and converting the large, under-used backyard into functional living space with an amazing pergola for year-round outdoor dining.
Custom Murphy Beds from Tailored Living is just one of the many surprises awaiting the Fifita family as they tour their fully renovated new home
Extreme Makeover: Home Edition transforms lives
The 2020 relaunch of the iconic Extreme Makeover: Home Edition TV series continues transforming lives with home renovations for deserving families who selflessly gave to their communities and now can use a helping hand themselves. New show host, Jesse Tyler Ferguson (Modern Family), is joined by a dynamic design team, including designers Breegan Jane and Carrie Locklyn, and carpenter Darren Keefe to personalize every facet of the renovations. “The first thing we look at is what they need. To aid the lives of these hometown heroes and to help their families, not to mention their contribution toward their communities is our primary objective.” –Carrie Locklyn
The long-anticipated moment when the Fifita family get to Move. That. Bus! and take the keys to their new home
For the Fifita family, this meant expanding the home’s footprint with some very specific changes:
- Expand the kitchen and integrate with the dining area.
- Make the living room and entryway functional.
- New wood floors throughout the house to unify the space.
- Convert the master bedroom to a master suite.
- Custom closet storage systems from Tailored Living.
- Add a second bathroom and third bedroom.
- Bring the son’s garage room under the same roof as the rest of the family.
- Convert the huge backyard to functional living space with decorative concrete resurfacing by Concrete Craft.
- Fence-in the front yard for privacy and safety and transform it into a tropical paradise.
- Increase energy efficiency with custom window coverings from Budget Blinds.
- Ensure home safety with two years’ air duct cleaning from AdvantaClean.
This is the house that love built
Brian and Lisa Fifita have lived in their home for 17 years, and are parents to five children, two currently living at home along with innumerable “heart” children that they welcome into their home. Living in a neighborhood where gang violence is a threat, the Fifitas have made their home a haven for local kids to have a safe place to hang out, eat, do homework, play basketball, and spend the night if need be. Having lost a nephew to random gang violence, Brian says he doesn’t ever want another family to have to go through that. Hospitality is a big part of their Tongan, Polynesian culture so their doors are always open. That’s why their niece, Kina, nominated them for the show, their incredible generosity: “They’ll be uncomfortable so everyone else can be comfortable.” And that’s been the case for many years as they cram an amazing number of kids into their home (Brian says up to 23!) with the resultant wear and tear. Show host Jesse succinctly summed up the major problem: “The house is too small for the amount of love you want to give.”
Tailored Living and Home Franchise Concepts step up in a big way
For Tailored Living and its sister brands, participating in the home renovation was a labor of love. It was exciting to be part of such a life-changing event with Home Office associates, in-house installers, and our vendor manufacturing partners contributing time, product, and expertise to help make the home truly special or, as dad Brian says, “A dream come true for our family.”
Tailored Living installed two custom closet storage systems, one in the master bedroom and one in daughter Nancy’s bedroom, eliminating the clutter and chaos of trying to maintain wardrobes with portable hanging racks and stacked storage bins. The added third bedroom brought son, Salesi, and the guest bunkbeds out of the garage and into the main house. The new room can sleep six, including two Murphy Beds from Tailored Living. The custom entertainment center turned the space into the ultimate Man Cave for hosting sleepovers for neighborhood youth.
The new master suite is clutter-free with a custom shared closet storage system designed to organize everything in Brian’s and Lisa’s wardrobes
- The rich Chocolate Apple finish and Oil Rubbed Bronze hardware complement the neutral colors and natural materials for modern Polynesian flair.
- Drawers, cabinets, and tiered hanging rods utilize floor-to-ceiling closet space for maximum efficiency to keep clothes and accessories handy.
- Layered textures and motorized shades from Budget Blinds make this room a relaxing haven for Lisa and Brian, who declared, “This is heaven on earth!”
Getting all her clothes in the closet made a world of difference in Nancy’s room to clear the clutter and give her living space
- A custom closet storage system from Tailored Living organized all Nancy’s clothes behind closed doors, changing the “10% bedroom and 90% closet” clutter into a real room.
- Layered textures throughout the room create a welcoming, calm space to relax when home schooling is done.
- Motorized shades let her control light and privacy with a full view to the outside whenever she chooses.
The bunkhouse bedroom
Four built-in bunk beds plus two Murphy Beds and an entertainment center by Tailored Living make this the ultimate hangout
- Two Murphy Beds with full size mattresses are out of sight inside sleek black cabinets until needed.
- The entertainment center in a Chocolate Apple finish has cabinets, countertop, integrated LED lights, and black glass shelves surrounding a big screen TV to store cameras, video equipment, and even a drone.
- For outside views and to let in natural sunlight, the woven wood panel tracks slide and stack off to one side exposing the windows.
Bringing the family together
The heart of the home, the kitchen, became part of an open floor plan connecting with the dining room and living room to keep family and friends together for the many activities that take place in this welcoming home
- Lisa loves the open kitchen concept and says, “Now I can cook and enjoy everybody’s company and not feel like an outcast.”
- New appliances replaced the old ones that were worn out from years of cooking hundreds of meals for family and neighborhood teens and young adults.
Move. That. Bus!
The family was moved out while all the work was underway and only returned when the house was complete and hidden behind the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition bus, awaiting the “Move. That. Bus!” moment when the family finally sees their new home. For the Fifitas, the magic just went on and on from the first glimpse of the front yard to the backyard makeover with a faux stone flagstone decorative concrete driveway, courtyard, resurfaced basketball court, patio area, and a new shaded pergola for outside dining and relaxing. Jonathan Thiessen, HFC’s Chief Development Officer, made a special presentation to the family: “We have a program at Home Franchise Concepts called Heart & Home and it’s designed to give back to those that do great things and give back in their community. So, on behalf of HFC, we would like to give you $25,000 to continue with that.”
Ending up in the new backyard meant party time for all the friends, neighbors, and volunteers, with a special presentation from HFC
There are far too many memorable moments and quotes to share them all, but here are a few highlights:
- Actor Anthony Anderson came by to help: “I grew up not too far from here and what you’re doing, taking people into your home and providing a safe haven for them, I just have to thank you and that’s why I’m here.”
- Ty Pennington, original Extreme Makeover host, crawled under the house for Breegan to check sewer lines that could have impacted the pergola. All good! Open upper shelves in the kitchen were his design.
- The master bath was a big hit. “This is the best part of the house!” according to Brian, and Lisa is all smiles, “This is our bathroom; we don’t have to share with the kids!
- Jesse recognized the magnitude of this home makeover, “We’re not just helping the family, we’re helping all the people they open up their home to.”
- View more before-and-after photos of the complete Fifita home makeover: Creating a Safe Gathering Space Within a Polynesian-Inspired Home.
Make your home space work better for you
If you would like a refreshing home makeover, Tailored Living is ready to help free your home of clutter with innovative storage and organization solutions. Call 866-712-3404 or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free consultation, including virtual design consultations* to accommodate current social distancing requirements. From the comfort of your own home, we can provide this service remotely through a web conference or on your mobile phone, and our 3D design software will let you see your design. We can do it all virtually for you—design, order, and set an appointment to install when the time is right.
Catch new episodes of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition Sunday night at 8p|7c on HGTV as well as watch previous episodes at https://watch.hgtv.com/tv-shows/extreme-makeover-home-edition.
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.