Fall is here and the thrill of wrapping up in luxurious scarves and donning new wool coats and leather boots is upon us. Temperatures drop and we switch from summer wardrobes to winter comfort, enjoying the crisp, cool mornings and curl-up-in-front-of-the fireplace evenings. But are your family’s closets ready? You may have adjusted your own closet by moving summer clothes to the back and bringing sweaters and boots to the front, but are your kids still pulling out shorts and tank tops instead of cold-weather gear for school? If so, maybe it’s time to winterize all the closets in your home with some family closet de-cluttering!
Make the de-cluttering process fun
If you don’t take on too much at a time, de-cluttering can actually be fun and freeing, getting rid of what you don’t need and restoring order. Set aside enough time so tackling the kids’ closets is not a rushed process. (You don’t want to slip into nagging...) Focusing on closets and clothes drawers only, work side by side with a child, directing the process. In a shared bedroom/closet situation, each child will need equal time and attention for a successful result.
- Take everything out of the closet and drawers so the whole wardrobe is being evaluated
- Consider every piece of clothing and footwear as to fit, condition and seasonal appropriateness, trying on anything questionable and putting it to a vote, if necessary
- Have the standard “help” boxes available: discard, donate and out-of-season storage and use them generously
- Be sensitive about things that you like but they hate, and let them have a say in what to keep
- Let your child help with final closet and dresser organization so they’ll stay with the new plan
- Use decorative wall hooks for daily-use items like pajamas, jackets, and hats, freeing up space in the closet
- Make a list of needed items and something extra-special, and plan a shopping trip for new clothes and accessories as a reward for sticking to the task
An organized closet will help your child avoid the angst that can accompany getting dressed in the morning, since they’ll have the right clothes, right at their fingertips. No more trying on five outfits and missing the school bus! Building out a wardrobe that they really like will help them feel good about themselves and encourage them to take better care of their clothes.
If your own closet could use some decluttering, the kids might enjoy you putting on a fashion show and letting them help determine your winter look. Of course, you have the power of veto, but it could be quite a fashion adventure and they might surprise you with their good taste!
Custom closet design for year-round organization
The professional designers at Tailored Living® can help with custom closet organization systems to suit every closet in your home. From your master bedroom closet to the hallway linen closet, storage space will be maximized to accommodate whatever you have to store and put an end to unsightly clutter.
- Custom floor-to-ceiling shoe racks can handle dozens of pairs of shoes
- Tiered rods multiply hanging space
- Custom closet accessories like shelf and drawer dividers, tie and belt racks and velvet-lined jewelry drawers protect your wardrobe accessories
- High shelves can hold out-of-season clothes so the main closet holds what you need today, making it easy to swap out as the seasons change
- Organize linen closet storage by bedroom, season or holiday, using pillow cases to hold sets, such as matching napkins and placemats. decorative hand towels or sheet sets
- Optional cedar lining in specialty garage storage cabinets preserves winter outerwear
- Remove summer’s remnants like flip flops and beach bags from the entryway to make room for winter coats, boots, hats and umbrellas
Don’t let the changing seasons create havoc with your closets. The right storage will let you move effortlessly from season to season, keeping closets functional and clutter free! Our custom closet organization systems will maximize all your closet storage needs with impeccable quality and design in custom finishes and colors to match any décor for any room in your home.
Call 866-712-3404 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation. We can also help with home office design, pantry and laundry room organization, Murphy Beds, garage storage cabinets and custom garage flooring.