If the upcoming holidays—Thanksgiving, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, Christmas, Kwanzaa, and the New Year—already have you stressing about entertaining and decorating, now is the time to mobilize with a plan to eliminate the worst clutter hot spots in your home. Those are the places where, despite your best efforts, clutter abounds:
- Kitchen and pantry
- Family room
- Laundry room
Intentional storage in the entryway will eliminate clutter by providing organization for everything that needs to be there
Permanent decluttering is the ultimate goal rather just a quick sweep, so that hot spots don’t keep returning. It’s a two-stage process. First, clear away the existing clutter and, second (the permanent part), you implement change, so clutter is banished. Tailored Living® can help with both, offering tips for decluttering as well as home organization solutions for every area of your home. Begin your journey with five steps for how to start decluttering and finish with permanent organization solutions to avoid future clutter.
Five steps to decluttering
Clutter consists of things scattered about as well as rooms and spaces that are messy with too much stuff in them. Going room by room will cut the home decluttering project down to size, and within a few days, you’ll have an organized, decluttered home so you can joyfully embrace all the holiday activities.
- Step one: Label some bins or boxes “keep and relocate elsewhere,” “donate or sell,” and “trash.” With sorting boxes, you won’t be running around relocating things and getting distracted from the task at hand, which is that one room.
- Step two: Is there any clear space on the flat surfaces in the room (countertops, tables, dressers, bookcases, and shelves) or is every inch covered with random piles, knick-knacks, magazines, discarded books, and toys? Remove the excess to the sorting boxes and see what a difference it makes.
- Step three: Now that things are a little clearer, get an ideal vision for the room as you’d like to see it and remove everything that doesn’t contribute to that vision. Move out furniture, rugs, lamps, curtains, pillows, plants, framed art … anything that’s contrary to your vision or that makes the room feel uncomfortably crowded.
- Step four: Go into drawers, shelves, and cabinets and sort the contents with the goal of keeping, donating, or tossing, and add to the boxes. This gets down to the nitty-gritty of getting organized and decluttered. Wipeout drawers and cabinets before replacing the items that stay.
- Step five: Do a final clean sweep—vacuum, dust, polish wood, mop floors, and shine the windows. When the room is complete, deal with the sorting boxes by putting away the things that go elsewhere in the house, moving the sell/donate items to the garage for later disbursement, and dumping the trash box. Success!
With proper storage, even a busy bedroom/activity room can be well-furnished without seeming cluttered
Keep clutter from returning
As you declutter, you may realize some rooms need better storage options to keep everything in line with your vision for the room. For instance, it makes perfect sense for the family room to contain electronic equipment, DVDs, games, TV blankets, and toys but, without storage options, the room will continue to be cluttered. Implementing storage and organization solutions like an entertainment center with drawers, shelves, and cabinets plus storage ottomans will be the permanent fix to prevent clutter from returning. Tailored Living can design storage solutions for every room in your home. Here are examples of typical hot spots that benefit from custom storage and organization to eliminate clutter.
Kitchen and pantry
Customized storage solutions will keep all the kitchen and pantry clutter in check
The kitchen is the heart of the home, where family and friends love to gather. As family members troop through, depositing and picking up, countertops and tabletops collect mail, schoolbooks, phones, laptops, drink cups, and the dog leash. The pantry, too, can become a repository for random items, creating chaos. If your kitchen and pantry are red-hot clutter spots, add storage solutions to corral and organize. In the kitchen, tame countertop clutter with a mail tray, a tech corner with a multiple charging station, and a portable trolly for non-kitchen items. A cluttered pantry can be transformed with adjustable shelves, drawers, pullout bins, and wine and spice racks to keep everything organized and easy to find.
Make sense of laundry chaos
In-home or in the garage, manage the business of laundry with organization and the laundry room will never again become a hot spot of clutter
If your laundry room is the washer and dryer with no storage or workspace capability, it will certainly be a clutter-generating area. The very nature of laundry is messy with laundry products, dirty clothes, clean clothes, and myriad other things vying for space. Implementing a workspace with countertops, storage shelves, and cabinets can convert any laundry room, large or small, into highly functional space and eliminate the perpetual clutter. Enclosed cabinets can hide laundry products and provide additional general home storage for extra bedding and such. Integrated countertops, hampers, and hanging rods will keep all the tasks of laundry day organized and clutter won’t stand a chance.
Conquer an out-of-control garage
From screwdrivers to bikes, everything will have designated storage space, eliminating clutter and helping you maintain a beautifully organized life
Possibly the biggest clutter hot spot for many homes, a cluttered garage can be an ongoing source of tension and stress. Easily the catch-all for anything that doesn’t have a place, a garage can quickly become incredibly messy with tools, toys, sports equipment, furniture, hobby supplies, and gardening implements so that you can’t even park the car! If this is your clutter hot spot, Tailored Living can help you design the perfect garage storage solution to meet your unique needs. Custom garage storage cabinets, Slatwall wall hanging systems, overhead storage, including automated solutions, and custom garage flooring can transform your garage into the colossus of storage and organization it’s meant to be.
Clutter-free, stress-free decorating
Now that your home is clutter-free, don’t let the pressure of decorating for the holidays push you back into clutter. Decorations are meant to enhance the experience, so decorate to reflect who you are and how you want your home to look. Here are some tips to help with reigning in any lingering, over-zealous decorating tendencies:
- You don’t have to be Superwoman. If life events like illness, a new baby, a new job, or a new home cramp your style, do what you can and enjoy guilt-free, scaled-back decorations this year.
- Use decorations that transition from one holiday to the next. Interchangeable decorations include candles, garlands, strings of lights, table runners, pumpkins, pinecones, snowflakes, and holly.
- Generic fall decorations can be customized for Halloween and Thanksgiving and a winter wonderland of white can be Christmas, Hanukkah, Winter Solstice, or New Year’s by adding holiday-specific elements.
- Don’t pile decorations on top of your regular décor, remove some items to make way for the holidays and swap back after the New Year.
The war on clutter is ongoing, especially in a busy household. Implementing storage and organization solutions for closets, pantries, laundry rooms, home offices, entryways, and garages will ensure that you win every skirmish! Additionally, with solutions in place, family members can easily get on board and learn to live more clutter-free. Call 866-712-3404 today or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free, in-home, or virtual* consultation and clear the way to a stress-free, uncluttered holiday season!
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations.