Actually, home cleaning includes all three: decluttering, organizing, and cleaning. But where to start is key to getting the result you want with the least amount of effort.
- If you have more stuff than space, begin by decluttering.
- If you have lots of space but it’s messy, organize your stuff.
- And finally, cleaning will be quicker and easier when your home is decluttered and organized.
You’ll enjoy your home more with clean, organized spaces that reduce stress for the whole family (window coverings courtesy of Budget Blinds®)
Tailored Living® can help with custom storage solutions to maximize all the space in your home from the kitchen pantry to the bedroom closets and garage storage cabinets. By decluttering first, you’ll find you have less to organize and less to clean, making life more stress-free every day!
When does stuff become clutter?
While viewpoints on what qualifies as clutter differ, most professional organizers agree that when clutter causes stress or interferes with everyday life, such as losing the bills that are due or getting to work late because of lost car keys—it’s out of control. We each have our individual “clutter limit” when it finally becomes too much and if you’re wondering if you’re dealing with excessive clutter at your house, here are some things to consider:
- If table tops and shelves are overflowing with no clear space, it’s time to declutter.
- When you spend an inordinate amount of time looking for things you can’t find, clutter is winning.
- Do you open cabinets, drawers, or bins and say, “Gee, I wonder what’s in here?” Uhm … clutter.
- No amount of organization can eliminate clutter if you have more than your house can hold.
Don’t let clutter get the upper hand in your home; the “lived-in” look is not a desirable decorating style
If you are living with perpetual clutter, you need to declutter by reevaluating what you have. Make an honest judgement, item by item, including clothes, shoes, appliances, sports equipment, games, toys, bedding, and home décor, and get rid of what you and your family no longer use or need. And, finally, before you decide to keep it … is everything in good and usable condition?
- Donate items in good condition that you no longer want or need to your favorite charity or thrift store or sell online or on consignment.
- If something needs repair or fixing, get it done or toss the damaged item rather than continue to store it.
- Just returning items to their rightful place (bedrooms, closets, garage) can eliminate some clutter.
- For specific tips on decluttering: How To Declutter Before the Holidays So Every Room Has Guest Appeal
Home organization for every area of your home
For some people, “organization” is a dirty word. They think it means boring and no spontaneity or freedom, but the exact opposite is true. It’s a known fact that clutter can negatively impact physical and mental health so, conversely, organization can impact physical and mental health in a positive manner. This means that organizing your home with innovative storage solutions like custom closet storage systems, home office design, pantry and laundry room organization, and garage storage cabinets can improve your life:
- Organization gives structure and harmony to all your spaces.
- You can always find what you need right when you need it.
- Storage space is maximized when customized for exactly what you have.
- Daily-use items are easily accessible.
- Clutter is eliminated with a place for everything throughout the house.
- Spend less time cleaning and hunting for misplaced items and have more time to enjoy life.
How different life can be with customized home organization solutions for every room
Everyone is different, and how you organize your home will depend on your lifestyle and habits. Regardless of circumstances—preschoolers, pets, or an all-adult household—home organization is beneficial for every facet of daily life:
- Save on food costs with a well-organized pantry that makes meal preparation quicker and grocery shopping a breeze.
- A custom, organized home office lets you get more work done with less effort and stress.
- Custom closet organization systems will keep the whole family better equipped for each day with cleaner bedrooms and accessible wardrobes.
- Keep clutter from entering the main house with personalized storage solutions for the entryway or mudroom.
- Maximize the garage with garage storage cabinets to greatly expand functional living space and uncover lots of vertical storage space.
- For more in-depth organization help: Love Your Home More With Space-Enhancing Custom Storage Solutions
Home cleaning is easier in organized spaces
Have you heard this anonymous (but brilliant) quote? “Cleaning with kids in the house is like brushing your teeth while eating Oreos.” This could be a good argument against house cleaning, but not cleaning really isn’t an option. A clean house is a healthy home from the standpoint of removing dirt, allergens, and bacteria as well as creating a calming environment that reduces stress and anxiety that can result from clutter and disarray. Once an area is cleared, cleaning is much easier and that’s why cleaning comes after the decluttering and organizing. Here are a few tips to make cleaning less painful and more efficient:
- Use a multi-surface cleaner that can be used almost anywhere.
- Clean up spills when they happen so they don’t become bigger messes.
- Get the whole family on board with the new organized living plan so they don’t default to old habits of clutter that are a roadblock to cleaning.
- Develop a cleaning schedule that works best for you and stick to it, such as all floors in one day, bathrooms every Wednesday, the kitchen daily, windows every three months, assigned cleaning chores to the kids, etc.
- For a safe, natural approach to cleaning: Cleaning Hacks to Clean Your House And Let You Get On With Life
A clutter-free room reduces dust build-up and can cut cleaning time in half
Home cleaning is an inescapable fact of life, but by decluttering your home and instituting customized organization solutions for all your rooms, you won’t feel like you’re fighting a losing battle. Your local Tailored Living can provide innovative organization and storage solutions that will perfectly fit your style and your budget to get all your spaces under control. Call 866-712-3404 today or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free, in-home or virtual* consultation. Then, sit back and enjoy some of those Oreos and milk in a sparkling clean home!
*Virtual consultations are not available at all locations.
Image one: From Budget Blinds website, automated blinds
Image two: Pixaby free image
Image three: Collage created from TL images