How often do you lose something in your closet? Can’t find that scarf you need to complete your outfit or one of the shoes you want is missing in action? It’s not unusual for items to disappear in closets, even if you’ve upgraded to a closet organization system. Unless you’ve made provision for all wardrobe eventualities, you can still have frustrations getting dressed.
- Shoes have done a walkabout and are not together in pairs.
- Your favorite watch is missing, and you can only find one gold earring.
- The sweater you thought was clean is at the bottom of a pile of dirty clothes you missed on laundry day.
As chaotic as it seems when you’re searching for something you can’t find, you may be just one step away from a totally efficient and organized closet. These top five closet accessories from Tailored Living® will preserve and protect even your smallest wardrobe accessories, keeping everything accessible and ready to wear.
Custom storage solutions for all your shoes and boots ensures that they’ll last longer and continue to look like new season after season
One: Essential shoes and boots
Footwear is a huge part of any wardrobe, including sandals, sneakers, stilettos, pumps, platforms, wedges, flats, hiking boots, fashion boots, athletic shoes, dress shoes, flip flops, and slippers. Online pundits seem to believe that women, on average, own 19 pairs of shoes. While that number seems remarkably low, no matter the size of your shoe collection, Tailored Living can help you conveniently display and maintain all your shoes and boots to ensure there’s never a missing mate when you’re headed to the gym or to a party. Fixed shelves, pullout shelves, and wire shoe racks are all options to protect your shoe collection and ensure you can always find a matching pair!
- Custom shoe racks can reach floor to ceiling to accommodate and beautifully showcase any size shoe collection, from tall boots and stilettos to flat sandals.
- Adjustable shelves allow you to customize height for boots versus shoes, so your boots won’t be creased from folding them over to fit in shorter shelves.
- Pullout metal shoe racks with wire forms store many pairs in a small space and keep shoes free from the crush of stacking.
- Slanted shoe shelves with front rails keep heels and flats visible and secure so they don’t end up on the closet floor.
- Install LED lights to illuminate your shoes, so you don’t leave the house in one navy and one black shoe.
Two: Drawers to organize and hide
Incorporating drawers into closet design gives the option of hiding some of the closet contents for a cleaner, neater look overall. They can also replace a dresser in a small bedroom to avail more living space. Standard drawer depths vary depending on what you want to store. Deeper drawers can hold stacks of folded items like sweaters, pajamas, and workout gear. Shallow drawers can be customized with individual compartments for jewelry, sunglasses, and wallets.
Drawers can be customized for exactly what you need to store, keeping small items organized and quickly accessible
- Drawer dividers easily organize lingerie, folded scarves, and rolled ties or belts.
- Velvet-lined jewelry drawers will protect and organize all your valuables, including gold, silver, and pearl jewelry as well as sunglasses and watches.
- Individual compartments keep sets of matching pieces together, so accessorizing is easy.
- Velvet- or felt-lined drawers keep contents safe from dust and moisture that can tarnish metals.
- Custom drawers can also protect your tech like phones, keychains, portable charges, SD cards, and RFID wallets so they aren’t left at risk all over the house.
Three: Specialty hooks and hangers
Specialty accessory racks for ties, belts, and scarves can keep your favorite accessories front and center. Small items tend to get lost in a closet, and custom storage will eliminate that problem. With a special place for each, you’ll never just set them down or toss onto a shelf where they can get misplaced. You can always find what you need by storing like items together, scarves with scarves and belts with belts. Decorative hooks can maximize small and unlikely areas of wall space, turning it into useful storage for robes, pajamas, or that shirt you’ll wear one more time before laundering.
Custom storage racks and decorative hooks create fool-proof storage with stationary or pullout styles
- Scarves stuffed in a basket or drawer can end up crumpled with snags or matted fringe.
- A retractable scarf rack with smooth metal loops protects delicate scarves and keeps them wrinkle-free.
- Custom closet accessories come to the rescue of all your accessories to keep them neat, organized, and ready to wear.
- Sturdy, decorative hooks provide secure storage for things you use every day, including jackets and purses.
- With either stationery hooks or retractable racks, belts and ties hang straight to prevent creases or damage.
Four: Your personal valet (rod)
A valet rod is the tiny closet accessory you never knew you needed until you got one. It’s like having an extra hand when dealing with dry cleaning, staging an outfit, packing for a trip, or doing some closet purging. As you’re sorting and working, having a place to hang something apart from the rest keeps your momentum going. Most rods can handle up to 30 pounds of weight which will accommodate a dry-cleaning pickup up or contents for a suitcase. Once you have one or two, you’ll discover many uses for the very versatile valet rod.
Valet rods provide hanging space any time you need an extra hand to manage your wardrobe
- Hang all the elements of your outfit for the next day on the valet rod to save time getting dressed in the morning.
- Sort the dry cleaning and remove the plastic bags, letting the valet rod do the heavy work. (Check out Can Plastic Dry-Cleaning Bags Cause Problems?)
- Keep items needing ironing or mending separate from the rest of the clothes in the closet.
- Choose retractable closet valet rods mounted to the side of your closet panel, or stationary and folding styles with multiple hooks.
- Properly installed valet rods are sturdy enough to hold a purse or briefcase to keep it handy.
Five: Integrated laundry hampers eliminate clutter
Having laundry hampers right in the closet is a real time saver. No more dropping dirty clothes to the floor and picking up later, you just place them immediately into the hamper. As part of a closet storage system, hampers can be integrated with the cabinetry, so they fold away out of sight. Use one for all dirty clothes or have multiples for laundry sorting such as lights, darks, and dry cleaning.
It’s just as easy to drop the dirty clothes into the hamper as on the floor and the lift-out lining makes laundry day a breeze
- You’ll never sacrifice style with laundry hampers, including integrated wood cabinetry or metal and fabric pullout laundry hampers.
- Tilt-out laundry hampers open smoothly for easy access and eliminate closet clutter by corralling dirty clothes and keeping them easy to retrieve on laundry day.
- The closet floor will stay clear of discards that need washing and no dirty clothes will be missed on laundry day.
- Use free-standing hampers in a corner or under a rack of hanging clothes if built-ins won’t fit.
Don’t settle for a mostly efficient closet, with custom closet accessories you can have everything in your closet efficiently stored and easily accessible. No more stressing out over a missing shoe, purse, or bracelet. Closet clutter will be eliminated when there’s designated space for everything. Call 866-712-3404 today or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free in-home or virtual* consultation to talk about any closet needs you have from complete closet organization solutions to fine-tuning your closet with custom accessories.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations.