“Space … the final frontier ...”
Reportedly the most famous opening lines of narration in all of television history, these words were uttered by Captain James T. Kirk (William Shatner) of the starship Enterprise. But they can also sum up everyday life in many homes as life evolves and families ebb and flow, making space needs more challenging:
- The squeeze of continuing to balance work and school from home
- Grown and almost-grown kids returning to the nest
- New baby or babies
- Grandparents moving in
Sleek, clean lines and on-trend colors characterize today's Murphy Beds
When a major event directly impacts the space in your home, rather than uprooting everyone and shifting entire rooms around, see how the addition of a Murphy Bed or two from Tailored Living® can help resolve space problems before you seek out whole new worlds! If you think you don’t have any place to install a Murphy Bed, also called hide-a-bed, pull-down bed, fold-away, or wall bed, consider these popular options:
- In a home office – the workspace during the day transforms into a bedroom at night.
- In a small room – a tiny bedroom or loft can have the necessary play or living space during the day with sleeping accommodation at night with a Murphy Bed.
- In a shared bedroom – with space for only one bed the addition of a Murphy Bed will accommodate two sleepers at night without affecting daytime space flexibility.
- In a multi-use room – during the day the bed stays tucked away, and the normal room function is not impacted whether it’s a family room, playroom, craft, or sewing room.
- In any room – transform a room into a bedroom with a Murphy Bed and surrounding closet storage system cabinets that create hanging space and storage with drawers and adjustable shelves.
Create closet and sleeping space where there was none with a Murphy Bed and cabinets installation
Make all your home space work better for you
More space may not be as critical as maximizing your existing space to get the most out of your home. A great example of how Murphy Beds can transform and seemingly create space is this bunkhouse makeover where Tailored Living partnered with HGTV’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition for the Fifita family in Hawthorne, California, last year. Keeping living space available was mandatory but more sleeping capability was also required, so custom Murphy Beds came to the rescue along with an entertainment center that corralled all the potential clutter.
Floor space stays available for plenty of seating and activity during the day since the beds don't intrude when folded away
- Side-tilt bunk-style Murphy Beds disappear during the day freeing up the TV/media room for all the activities of daily life.
- Two Murphy Beds with full-size mattresses fold up out of sight inside sleek black cabinets.
- An entertainment center that complements the black cabinets has a big screen TV with surrounding cabinets, a countertop, and integrated LED lights to store all the equipment.
A hidden guest room
If you have to surrender the seldom-used guest room to daily, required living space, you can still retain the convenience and comfort of a guest room by installing a Murphy Bed for when the company arrives. Tucked away in its cabinet, it doesn’t impede the use of the room for other functions and it’s quick and easy to convert the space to a guest room when needed.
Have plenty of schoolroom/playroom space without losing the peace of mind of having a formal guest room
- Especially in small spaces, a Murphy Bed allows you to have functional furniture and a great bed.
- There’s no need to remake the bed each day, just fold up the Murphy Bed with blankets and pillows inside.
- You can relax, knowing that your guests will be comfortable and well cared for.
Beautiful cabinetry to match your home’s decor
Tailored Living’s Murphy Beds are not meant to be invisible, the finely crafted custom cabinetry is beautiful furniture to enhance your home. With eight standard cabinet design styles from smooth surfaces to raised-panel detail for doors and drawer fronts and 16 standard wood tone and laminate finishes, you can match your existing décor. Decorative molding, glass-inset doors, integrated lighting, adjustable shelves, and decorative hardware let you create unique and personal space-saving Murphy Beds designed for the way you live.
Choose from a wide range of styles, colors, and finishes so your Murphy Bed feels right at home
- Murphy Beds can have any number of surrounding cabinets and storage configurations, depending on where they’re placed and what other purpose they will serve.
- Incorporate one into an existing wall system as an integral part of the coordinated cabinetry throughout the room.
- Cabinets are only about 16” deep, so they take up minimal floor space.
- There’s no loss of comfort, a Murphy Bed takes a real mattress, traditional twin/single, full/double, queen, or king sizes with any coil spring mattress up to 12” thick.
- Patented technology and advanced steel hardware with spring-loaded mechanisms ensure smooth and easy opening and closing, giving years of worry-free operation.
- Eight standard cabinet styles, including Shaker, five-piece Shaker, Traditional, Classic Raised, Eased Edge, Economy Raised, Slab, and Smooth.
- 16 standard cabinet finishes with a range of wood tones from light to dark and laminate solids from white to black.
- Decorative hardware in Matte Gold, Black, Matte Aluminum, Matte Nickle, Polished Chrome, Oil Rubbed Bronze or Graphite in styles including traditional, modern, and retro with curves, rounded, and squared handles and knobs.
You’ll be amazed at the extra space you can acquire with a Murphy Bed (or two) maximizing your home’s functionality and relieving the stress that comes with change. Call 866-712-3404 today or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you and schedule a free, in-home, or virtual* consultation. We can also offer innovative storage and organization solutions for custom closet design, garage storage cabinets and garage flooring, pantry and laundry room organization ideas, and more. Flip through the online Tailored Living Design Guide and see what we can do for you.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations