Finding the right garage organization solutions for your garage doesn’t have to be a grueling process of trolling Pinterest until your eyes get blurry. Asking a few pertinent questions will help you determine how best to configure your garage storage and whether that involves overhead garage storage racks or wall storage systems to meet your needs:
- How big is my garage?
- How much storage space do I need?
- What is the safest storage for me and my family?
Efficient garage storage can incorporate garage storage cabinets, overhead storage, and wall storage systems to maximize your garage space
Tailored Living® featuring Premier Garage® has been designing garage organization systems for over 15 years, helping homeowners of every age to live happier and more organized in their space. By weighing the pros and cons of overhead storage and wall storage systems, you’ll be able to decide what will work best for your unique garage.
Slatwall: Very versatile wall storage
Slatwall panels provide hanging storage on walls through a series of panels and attachable accessories to accommodate what you want to store. Slatwall panels can be integrated with garage cabinets or as alternative storage where cabinets don’t fit. Available in colorful PVC or aluminum panels, they add the element of design to create attractive, customized storage options for large or small garages.
Slatwall panels can provide a little or a lot of storage, whatever you need
- No hidden storage, everything is visible and accessible.
- Takes up less floor space than cabinets and there are no doors to contend with.
- Use for an entire wall or size to fit around cabinets and countertops, adding storage to small or tight spaces, such as behind doors and in corners.
- Slatwall over a workbench keeps small tools and supplies organized and close at hand.
- Removable hooks and racks let you reconfigure your storage as often as you like.
- Easily organize and store things that are too cumbersome for inside cabinets, like sports equipment and gardening tools.
- Attachable hooks, shelves, and baskets create secure, easily accessible storage for up to 75 pounds per square foot for PVC, and up to 100 pounds per square foot for aluminum panels.
- Store the kids’ sports equipment at the lowest levels of Slatwall so they can easily reach everything.
- Stored items are openly exposed to dust, dirt, and humidity.
- It is possible that items can be knocked off the wall.
- Storage is accessible to everyone; curious little ones could get hurt.
- Cannot take the place of bin storage.
- Not appropriate storage for breakable items.
Overhead storage for oversized storage
One of the biggest plusses of overhead garage storage is that you are converting unused space into valuable storage space. It lets you increase storage capacity without infringing on space you are already using every day and overhead garage storage keeps storage away from kids and pets. It’s great for clearing the floor of bulky and odd-shaped things like surfboards and kayaks as well as stacked bins and boxes. For items that don’t require regular accessibility, overhead storage is ideal, keeping storage organized and accessible. Additionally, there is the choice of stationary overhead racks or motorized platforms and lifts for supreme convenience and safety.
No more shifting seasonal and long-term storage around the garage with permanent, out-of-the-way overhead storage racks
Pros of stationary overhead storage
- Overhead storage can almost double storage space in a small garage, keeping the floor clear so you can park the car inside without losing storage capability.
- Can eliminate floor and wall storage so the whole garage is unimpeded for other uses like a game room, home gym, or crafts and hobby room.
- Racks are height adjustable and available in numerous sizes, long, narrow racks, square racks to fit in corners, and anything in between.
- Capture all that ceiling space over the garage door.
- Stationary overhead racks of 14-gauge steel can hold up to 800 pounds.
- Ladder access to reach your storage may not be safe for everyone.
- Difficult to see what’s stored overhead in bins unless they are clearly labeled.
- Can be dangerous to lift heavy objects over your head retrieving items from stationary racks.
Enjoy the ultimate in convenient storage with motorized lifts that come down to you
Pros of automated overhead storage
- Automated garage storage includes motorized platforms, universal lifters, lifters for multiple bikes, and specialty motorized lifts with flexible straps so you can store absolutely anything.
- Each lift can handle up to 100 pounds, multiple automated platforms can be linked together for expanded storage, with safety netting for extra security.
- Store boxes, bins, and individual large and heavy items (Christmas tree) with minimum effort.
- No back strain or danger of slipping off a ladder with motorized systems to raise and lower your stored items.
- Can be operated from a smartphone or remote; prevent unauthorized use with a wall-mount push button station with keyed lockout.
- Some systems may not be suitable for garage ceilings over nine feet high, lifts may not go all the way to the floor.
- Avoid systems with plastic components in the working parts, breakage can occur.
- Improper installation can be a serious safety hazard.
Garage perfection is waiting
Garage storage solutions depend on the available space you have, what you need to store and organize, and the aesthetic you want for your garage. For some people, garage storage cabinets that hide all the clutter is the only way to go. Someone else may be happy with neat storage lining the walls, providing easy access to tools, and more. Overhead storage that keeps everything out of the way maybe the dream garage for others. Go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find a designer near you or call 866-712-3404 to schedule a free, in-home, or virtual* consultation to discuss every aspect of garage design from custom garage flooring to overhead storage options and fully customizable wall hanging systems. We can help you find the perfect combinations to transform your garage into your favorite place in the house.
*Virtual consultations may not be available at all locations.