How many times have you gone out to the garage, rubbing your hands together and blowing on them for warmth while you hunted for something you needed? Garages can be daunting at the best of times and especially trying during the winter when it’s so cold out there! So regardless of where you live and whether winter brings in above- or below-freezing temperatures, winterizing your garage is a good idea.
Tailored Living® featuring PremierGarage® can help get your garage expertly organized and highly functional, lessening the negative impact of winter with its snow, rain, hail, sleet and chilling winds. Total garage organization with custom garage cabinets, garage flooring and a unique system of hanging racks will transform your garage and make winter less stressful for your entire family, and you’ll enjoy the benefits for years to come.
Efficient Garage Storage
- Tall, vertical garage storage cabinets make maximum use of available space, providing room to store everything in the garage in organized fashion so anything you need is quick and easy to find. You can neatly store household goods, toys, camping gear, tools, seasonal decorations and clothes on sturdy shelves behind closed doors or on open shelves.
- If your family enjoys winter sports, Gridwall Racks wall storage systems can hang and store skis, ice skates, sleds, hockey sticks, snowboards and more, with specially designed hooks and racks. Add-on baskets and shelves hold accessories like masks, gloves and pucks so everything you need for your favorite sport is right at hand. Low-level hooks and baskets allow little ones to retrieve and put away their own gear.
- Overhead storage racks capture valuable vertical space that can be used for storing large items and/or seasonal needs. In winter, put spring and summer items overhead, then swap out when the seasons change to keep the appropriate items close at hand and easily accessible.
- Keep snow shovels and other home maintenance tools on Gridwall Racks, organized according to use or season, such as gardening and carpentry tools. Hint: Make shoveling snow easier by applying two thick coats of car wax (liquid or paste) to the head of a snow shovel or to the inside of your snow blower's chute to prevent snow from sticking and building up.
Safety and Convenience
Getting the cars into the garage protects them from the harsh weather. Custom garage cabinets and hanging racks will free up the space so you actually can park in the garage. This protects your family when coming and going, and loading and unloading the car. It’s all done in the safety of the garage instead of on the street or in the driveway. No more mad dashes in bad weather on wet and slippery surfaces.
- A sealed garage floor helps to repel cold and moisture. Tailored Living’s PremierOne® garage floor coatings will protect your garage floor and add beauty and value to your home with our exclusive industrial-grade hybrid polymer floor coatings that resist chipping, cracking and peeling. The hard, glossy finish repels water, mud, snow and ice, so anything your family tracks in can be quickly and easily wiped up.
- PremierTrax flexible garage floor tiles create a non-slip, commercial-tough surface from interlocking, open weave tiles that are comfortable to walk on and easy clean with a unique “flow through” design. 18 tie color choices allow you to create a custom floor to match your car, your favorite team’s logo or to just express yourself.
- A mud room off the connecting garage door is an excellent way to manage wet coats, hats, umbrellas, shoes and boots. A custom design of cabinets, benches, cubbies and hooks to perfectly fit your space makes it easy to shed wet clothes before entering the house. Shoes and boots have space to drip and dry, while wet coats, hats and scarves can be on separate hooks to allow for complete drying.
- Make sure you have sufficient light in your garage. Sunlight streaming through the windows will be greatly diminished during dark, gray days of winter. Install enough lights to illuminate every corner so you can clearly see where you’re walking to avoid trips and falls. If you have a laundry area or other work station, it’s especially important to have good lighting and safe footing.
- Store rock salt in air-tight containers. Even a small amount of moisture can ruin salt and make it less effective. Since rock salt is not for human consumption, keeping it sealed will also prevent children and pets from tampering with it and possibly getting sick. Hint: Mixing sand will give more traction to your steps, walkways and driveway. Sand is cheaper than salt and considered more eco-friendly.
- Keep several days worth of firewood in the garage, up off the floor on open shelves or a metal rack so it stays dry and is not as inviting to spiders, mice or other uninvited guests. As you use it, bring in new wood from the outside woodpile to replenish your stock so it has time to dry completely before you burn it. Late at night or in the midst of a storm you’ll be happy to have firewood so handy.
Insulation Tips for Warmth and Savings
Replace old, worn weather stripping on all windows and doors so you’ll have a tight seal against the cold. Cover windows with plastic or heavy curtains for further insulation. You could also look at getting an electric garage heater which will prove invaluable in the cold Winter months.
- An insulated garage door will greatly impact the temperature inside.
- Insulate your garage walls.
- Cover your water heater with an insulating blanket so it doesn’t have to work so hard to heat the water.
- Protect any exposed pipes to prevent freezing and bursting. Cover with foam pipe wrap or DIY-protect with newspaper and towels wrapped around the pipes and secured with duct tape.
- Have your furnace serviced to ensure you’ll get maximum performance.
- Install solar heating panels or a unit heater for the garage.
It’s not too late for a Tailored Living organizational specialist to help you get your garage organized for winter. Innovative design and customized solutions will maximize your space to best suit your family’s needs and get you safely through the winter.
Call 866-712-3404 today to schedule a free, in-home consultation or go online to www.tailoredliving.com to find an organization specialist near you. We also design storage solutions for closets, home offices, laundry rooms, entry ways, pantries and more. Wherever you need help with storage, we have the solution.